Job title: Articling Student – Law
Company: Ontario Power Generation
Job description: Status: Temporary Full-time Contract from July 2021 to May 2022
Education Level: Minimum second year Law School to apply
Travel: Yes – 10%
Deadline to Apply: September 25, 2020 by 5:00 pm E.S.T. (per Law Society of Ontario rules)
Article with us and BE THE GENERATION.
OPG LAW DIVISION
OPG Law Division supports the full range of OPG’s business operations including Corporate Finance, Litigation and Regulatory Compliance, Commercial, Procurement, Environmental, Pension Fund Investment and Administration, Real Estate, Indigenous Relations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Labour and Employment and Privacy. With a team of approximately 30 lawyers, assistants and students, it would be fair to say that we operate like a small or mid-sized law firm. We are a fast-paced department delivering high quality, practical and timely legal advice to our one client – OPG. Of course, as in-house lawyers, our practices are more naturally integrated with the individuals and business groups whom we support – so we are also leaders and strategic partners in all areas of OPG’s business.
OPG Law Division offers you the opportunity to article in a dynamic and challenging business and legal environment. As an Articling Student, you will be able to gain exposure to all of our practice areas by working alongside lawyers across our two main practice groups: Corporate/Commercial and Regulatory/Litigation. You will work hand-in-hand with our lawyers and business groups to assess legal issues and develop business strategies for OPG. Our lawyers will support you in taking on as much responsibility as you can handle – you might even take the lead on some matters.
We are focused on the professional development of our lawyers and students. We provide access to regular professional development seminars year-round, delivered by our lawyers and also by our external service providers. Additionally, we aim to provide each of our Articling Students with a taste of private practice with a secondment to a major, full-service law firm in downtown Toronto.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner.
As the successful candidate, you will have the opportunity to assist in a variety of work assignments which may include:
- Corporate and commercial transactions, including the purchase and sale of various goods, commodities, real estate, fuel, services, and electricity
- Contract negotiations and drafting
- Research and preparation of legal memoranda in connection with various legislation, regulations, licenses, permits and approvals governing our operations
- Preparation for hearings before various administrative tribunals, including the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission and the Ontario Energy Board
- Environmental compliance issues that arise in relation to nuclear, thermal and hydroelectric power generation
- Drafting pleadings, affidavits and factums
Areas of Practice:
- Corporate Finance, Litigation and Regulatory Compliance, Commercial, Procurement, Environmental, Pension Fund Investment and Administration, Real Estate, Indigenous Relations, Mergers & Acquisitions, Labour and Employment and Privacy
Preference will be given to candidates with the following skills and experience:
- A track record of academic excellence
- Demonstrated leadership skills and initiative, as well as the ability to collaborate effectively with others
- A results-oriented focus and the ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage several projects simultaneously
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels
- Strong analytical, research and problem solving skills, with a keen eye for detail
- Proven ability to work in a complex, regulated corporate environment
- Superior writing skills, including the ability to compile information from research, case files or verbal direction, in order to draft documentation
- Proficient with the use of information technology tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Westlaw, and Quicklaw
- The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding OPG’s corporate values
The Articling Student salary is competitive with other large corporations with in-house legal departments.
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, OPG offers an exciting combination of challenging opportunities and career diversity in a work environment where safety is a fundamental value. Being an OPG employee means you can apply your knowledge, broaden your skills and make a valuable contribution to an organization that is vital to Ontario’s success.
At OPG our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that do not change. Safety. Integrity. Excellence. People and Citizenship.
Our promise to you
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop in our diverse lines of business.
- We offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- We support employment equity and diversity.
NUMBER OF POSITIONS
OPG is looking for up to three (3) Articling Students to join the legal team in our Toronto, Ontario office.
These positions are for the 2021 – 2022 Articling Term, in accordance with Law Society of Ontario Recruitment Guidelines.
Please submit your application online at by 5:00 PM E.S.T., September 25, 2020. Search job opportunities using the keyword “Law” and select the articling student job posting. Click “Apply Now” and create an account.
Please submit the following materials using the CV/Resume option in the order specified as ONE PDF: * Cover Letter (please address to Bryan Li, Counsel)
- Law School and Undergraduate transcripts
- Reference letters
Note: Documents submitted under “additional documents” will NOT be reviewed.
If you have any questions on the application process or OPG’s Articling Program please email
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require technical support in a format that is accessible to you, please contact .
OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
No Agencies please
Location: Toronto, ON
Job date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 07:23:08 GMT